Friday, March 20, 2009

Writing my Artist's Bio

Today I am working on creating my artist's bio. I researched online and then sat down to "let it flow." This is what came this morning...

Artist Bio of Sabra L. Ray

I am a multi-dimensional artist. I paint using acrylics and began painting as a result of a series of workshops that I co-facilitated on the Chakras which are subtle energy centers in the body. I also make paper and have designed a line of custom note cards called “Scrappies” using my handmade paper and inspirational or motivational quotes. I have also created a set of “Motivational Moments” consisting of 30 cards, one for each day of the month. Each card contains a powerful positive affirmation meant to set the focus and tone for the day. I write poetry and short-stories.

I believe that everyone has an artist, of some kind, within them that only needs to be awakened. My interest in the mind, body, spirit connection has led me to this truth. I facilitate workshops that assist others in finding that inner artist, inner peace and knowledge of the subtle energy systems of our body to promote health, happiness and peace. We can all use the power of our imagination to create what we want in our life so being an artist is not just about putting paint to canvas or pen to paper but living life to the fullest and seeing the beauty in every moment of every day. I try to help others to find their way home to their own Self and to see the beauty within that wants to be expressed and shared.

I have asked myself, many times, “What is my purpose?” I took many wrong turns in trying to find my answers and hit many a barrier before I finally realized that my purpose, is to grow spiritually. Dr. Wayne Dyer, Louise Hay, Shakti Gawain, Carl Jung, Deepak Chopra, Ernest Holmes. Joseph Camplbell and many others have helped me along my path and made me realize that to truly grow spiritually, I need to help others. I try to do this through my art and my workshops.

I live and work in a 60-year-old bungalow in the Historic downtown area of Buford, Georgia with my best pet friend, a black and white Shih Tzu named Wiz. I love to travel and some of my favorite journeys were to Guatemala, Peru and Mexico where I spent a week on a whale watching expedition in the Sea of Cortez. Visiting Macchu Picchu and other places in Peru was a life changing experience and I am still absorbing the energy of that trip. In Guatemala I was fortunate enough to stay at a Catholic mission, Santo Tomas La Union and to travel with Father Hazelton high up into the central highlands to observe as he performed ceremonies in K’iche for the indigenous Mayan’s. In my travels, I was exposed to Aztec, Incan and Mayan cultures and their art and spirituality has influenced me deeply on all levels of being.

It will probably be changed a hundred times before I'm through but if I am to do things "step-by-step" I'll call this step one. I also created flyers and registration forms and set up my calendar and overall, it's been a very productive morning. Now, it's time for me to get into the studio and create for a couple of hours before moving on to more mundane things like laundry, vacuuming, walkign the dog and getting ready to go to my daughter's to babysit for my beautiful grandchildren tonight.

Life is so beautiful and I am feeling very blessed today. It IS a great day to be alive and all is well in my world. Wishing the same for you! Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments.